Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

The Ultimate Cruisers' Planning Tool


You are here: Home / Countries / USA
By No owner — last modified Nov 07, 2018 05:46 PM

 USA - Formalities


US Customs is now part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and is called Customs & Border Protection (CBP). Security has increased at entry points to the US for both USA and foreign-flagged vessels.


All yachts arriving in the USA from a foreign port or place will require a face-to-face inspection. The introduction of the new CBP ROAM App has made this a much simpler and quicker process as it allows boaters to present themselves for face to face inspections with a CBP Officer using Video Chat.

ROAM has now replaced the Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS), which is no longer in service and float plans are no longer accepted.

For full details of the CBP ROAM App and when it can be used - see this news item.

Skippers may also continue to report their arrival via designated telephone reporting numbers or report to a port of entry, if desired.

CBP Ports of Entry & Contact Numbers.

The local CBP field office will give an Arrival Reference Number during the first call to check in, which you must have when you go for your in-person check-in. Cruisers recommend not arriving in the US on Fri/Sat/Sun as the phone line is constantly engaged.

Note: Noonsite has been advised by CBP officials that they are unable to call back to international phone numbers, so take this into account when making contact with a CBP office. The skipper may go ashore to make a phone call from a land line in a marina, but no other member of the boat's crew is permitted off the dock until clearance procedures are conducted.

If arriving after working hours, contact the CBP immediately, but face-to-face inspection may not be possible until the following morning. During this time, you must remain on board and conduct clearance procedures immediately the next morning. You must report your arrival no matter what time of day, and you must conduct your customs/immigration clearance procedures within 24-hours of arrival no matter what.

The nearest CBP office might be some distance away from your chosen port of entry, requiring a taxi. No taxi in the USA will accept foreign currency. You may not be allowed to rent a car until you have an entry stamp in your passport. It would be worthwhile to select an entry port where an CBP office is within a short distance. Again, here is the current list of Ports of Entry.

If a member of a Frequent Passage Scheme ( LBO), call +1 (800) 432-1216 or +1 (800) 451-0393. Both of these numbers are toll-free automated systems and may not connect properly with foreign SIM cards. Wait times may be lengthy. These schemes are NOT designed for first time arrivals. For more information on Frequent Passage Schemes, see the bottom of this Clearance section.

Jurisdictions and Enforcement

The US Coast Guard has the authority to board any vessel within US territorial waters and they frequently do this, particularly off the coast of Florida. The US Coast Guard also patrols the Bahamas and parts of the Caribbean as a join patrol with local officials. The US Navy or Coast Guard can also board any US flag vessel anywhere in the world. All vessels entering the 12 mile territorial waters must fly the Q flag until clearance procedures have been conducted.

Foreign Yachts

CBP-1300 Vessel Entrance or Clearance Statement
Foreign flagged pleasure boats must make a formal vessel entry on CBP form 1300 within 48 hours and pay the applicable fees. There are heavy fines if this is not submitted within 48 hours of arrival.

The captain must report the arrival of the yacht to the CBP immediately and then the skipper, and every other person on board, regardless of nationality, are required to report to the nearest CBP Office. US nationals must take with them a valid US passport. All non-US nationals must take passports with valid visas or a Green Card (long-term resident) if held.

Documents needed include registration papers, a declaration of both ship's stores and crew's general possessions, last port clearance, and a crew list. Clearance must be completed with Customs, Immigration, Health and Agriculture. Usually the Customs officer performs some or all of these other duties.

Cruising License
Since January 2016, ALL foreign-flagged yachts (including any registered under the LBO scheme) MUST obtain a Cruising License.This is obtained at the time of entry from the applicable CBP port director and once issued is valid for up to one year (365 days from issue date). See Documents for more details.

A cruising license may exempt foreign flagged pleasure boats (from certain countries) from having to undergo formal CBP entrance and clearance procedures, except at the first CBP port of entry each and every year.

Foreign-flagged yachts and Canadian yachts, not in possession of a cruising license, are normally required to notify Customs (Homeland Security) when moving from one customs region to another, (i.e., from Ft Lauderdale to Miami). There are fines for vessels who do not comply. Often, vessels who report a few times will be deemed "secure" and will be instructed by the CBP official that further reporting is unnecessary until departure from the USA. See the Noonsite/USA reporting article for more information.

One thing to be aware of, is that the various states often interpret these federal regulations differently, or apply local rules to suit a local situation. If possible, contact the officials at your chosen Port of Entry in advance to check requirements. CBP officers are normally very helpful and will notify you of any updated laws or procedures.

If you are notified of a customs/immigration regulation that we have not updated on Noonsite, please email us and we will update our database.

It is recommended to keep records of your checking-in activities, such as name and badge number of any officials you check in with – especially if receiving instructions contrary to expected procedures – email receipts of notification, as well ensuring that the yacht's details and movement have in fact been entered onto the automated system. It is okay to ask for verification from the officer you are speaking to.

Cruising to Cuba

Foreign flagged vessels not should have a problem travelling between Cuba and the US, although all yachts returning to the United States from Cuba can expect to be boarded.

Whilst Key West has a history of not particularly welcoming cruisers who arrive direct from Cuba, US flagged or otherwise (one foreign cruiser's Cruising Licence was cancelled on arrival and they were instructed to leave US territory for example), the situation appears to be improving in 2018 and this should no longer be treated as a port to avoid when clearing into the States after a visit to Cuba.

Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale have always been good choices for clearing into the States after a visit to Cuba, but you must stay offshore and may not use the ICW until clearance has been obtained.

Another option to avoid any problems is to leave Cuba for another country (such as the Bahamas) and make entry into the United States from there.

NOTE: Any US citizens on a foreign flagged boat, still have to fulfil one of the 12 'exceptions' categorizing the reason for their visit to Cuba. ('People-to-people' or 'education' are the easiest ones to officially comply with). See notes below.

US Registered Yachts

On arrival in the USA from a foreign port all US yachts must report their arrival to the CBP within 24 hours, and also report any merchandise acquired abroad that is subject to duty. If an inspection is required, the Customs officer will direct the yacht to an inspection area. New security regulations compel US nationals to now report arrivals in a similar manner to foreign nationals: report arrival immediately and complete immigration/customs clearance within 24 hours of arrival.

NOTE: A US Coast Guard boarding or customs inspection offshore does NOT constitute a customs clearance procedure.

Failure to follow the correct procedures on arrival (particularly in reference to reporting arrival in a timely manner, or disembarking your vessel without permission) can lead to a substantial fine and seizure of the offending vessel.

Cruising Between Canada and USA

For Canadian and US citizens there is a scheme which simplifies border formalities. NEXUS is a joint US/Canadian customs and immigration program for frequent travellers between the two countries. It replaces the I-68. NEXUS is designed to simplify procedures for pre-approved, low-risk boaters who regularly cross the border. It allows such boaters to clear Customs and Immigration of either Canada or the U.S.A. by contacting the Telephone Reporting Centre (TRC) within 30 minutes and up to 4 hours prior to arrival.

US Citizens who frequently travel internationally may also benefit from the Global Entry program.

See the Nexus Program website for details.

Other Frequent Passage Schemes

The Local Boater Option (LBO) is a similar scheme operating in Florida, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands, which allows pleasure boat reporting by telephone. See this Noonsite/report.

Cruising to Cuba

US-flagged yachts are NOT forbidden by law from cruising in Cuba, but they do have to apply for a permit approx. 1 month in advance (or earlier) from the USCG. They must also abide by all Treasury Department restrictions on purchases made in Cuba.

All crew must comply with one of the 12 'exceptions' (which categorise the reason for the visit) and then obtain USCG form 3300. This then permits the boat to visit Cuba for a maximum of 2 weeks. For more information on this procedure, see this Report.

NOTE: Any US citizens, on either a US or foreign flagged boat, still have to fulfill one of the 12 'exceptions' categorizing the reason for their visit. ('People-to-people' or 'education' are the easiest ones to officially comply with).

All yachts returning to the United States from Cuba can expect to be boarded. The amount of difficulties reported by US yachts varies and seems to depend on individual officials. Cuban officials will co-operate and not stamp US passports.

On leaving Florida for Cuba, it is mandatory to notify the US Coast Guard and obtain clearance for crossing the security zone into Cuban waters. There will be enhanced US Coast Guard patrols in this area.

Another option to avoid problems is to leave Cuba for another country (such as the Bahamas) and make entry into the United States from there.


Customs do not have to be notified when US boats leave for a foreign port, although most countries require the last port clearance for their own entry procedure. It is necessary to obtain this outbound "zarpe" before leaving the USA.

The US CBP is not generally set up to issue outward clearance to pleasure vessels, but the US Dept of Homeland Security use CBP Form 1300 for a Zarpe for commercial vessels. The form can be obtained here to fill out in advance and expedite the process. You will need to get this stamped by Customs at a port or airport. Take boat documentation and crew passports with you. Remember, this is for the foreign port and not an official procedure for the United States immigration/customs rules.

Some cruisers have encountered confusion from the Customs officers when getting a stamp on this form by pleasure yachts as it is typically for commercial vessels (they do not have a dedicated form for non-commercial vessels). Call up your local CBP office and enquire before travelling to get your form stamped. Some cruisers have reported using a notary to sign the form and says this works very well.

This CBP Form 1300 procedure is common (and important to follow) especially when departing Puerto Rico or the USVI when the next port of call is the Dominican Republic, the BVI, or any of the Windward Islands.

Last updated:  September 2018


TRAVEL BAN: Nationals of seven countries are currently subject to various travel restrictions into the USA. See further details on the US Department of State website.

Also, nationals of ANY country who have recently travelled to any of these countries will likely be subject to enhanced screening upon arrival.

Entering or Leaving the US by Private Yacht
All nationalities, whether entering and/or leaving the US by private yacht MUST obtain a visa in advance. Such visitors CANNOT enter the USA for the first time under the Visa Waiver Programme on board their yacht.

It is essential to plan ahead, as obtaining a visa for the United States is not a quick process. A personal interview at a US embassy (or some consulates) is required, together with the recording (in a US database) of the applicant's biometric data (i.e., fingerprints, photograph, etc).

There are 185 different types of USA Visas; however, this website contains all the relevant information and procedure: US State Department Directory of Visa Categories.

Note: Private yacht crew qualify for a Type D or Type C1/D visa, but only if remaining in the USA for less than 29 days. Most cruisers opt for the Type B1/B2 visa that allows foreigners access to the USA for 6 months at a time and allows re-entry for up to 10 years. The Type B1/B2 visa has special restrictions for receiving pay as a foreign national. See this Cruiser's report on their experience in obtaining such a visa.

Flying into the US and departing on a yacht
If flying into the States with a B1/B2 visa on a one-way ticket in order to join a yacht on passage out of the country, be sure to arrive with a letter in hand from the yacht's skipper to show to Immigration you are leaving the country. Use yacht stationery with a boat stamp and signature, including all your personal details, name of yacht, where it is berthed, approximate date of departure and destination.

If unsure of what visa to get, best advice is to call ahead to the US
port of entry a few months in advance to verify what their policy is
with regards to visas/ESTAs/etc. and get the officers name who you have spoken to.

Visa Exceptions

The only exceptions to visa requirements are Canadian citizens who are permanent residents in Canada, and Bermudan citizens who are permanent residents in Bermuda.

Look at US Website on entry information for yachts for the latest detailed information.

Every person entering the United States must be seen in person by an Immigration officer, except those participating in the Canadian Border Small Boat Program (NEXUS),  available for US citizens and permanent residents.

US citizens should carry proof of citizenship such as a passport (or birth certificate) while on board a coastal vessel. All foreign nationals must carry a passport at all times. US citizens entering the United States from countries outside North America are required to possess a valid US passport.

See this Noonsite report for possible complications if entering from Canada.

Foreign yachtsmen entering the USA from the Caribbean

See articles: 
Noonsite report on making use of the US Visa Waiver for entry into the USVIs, and 
Noonsite/Accurate Information for Yachtsmen Entering the USA., and
European Cruisers applying for US Visa from Nassau, Bahamas.

If you are a citizen of a Visa Waiver Program country and planning to make use of this method of entering the USVIs or Puerto Rico, it is necessary to have completed an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization). This can be completed online and costs $14.

An ESTA is valid for 2 years, but it does not guarantee entry to the United States. Entry under the Visa Waiver program is valid for a visit of up to 90 days from the first entry into the USA or its Caribbean territories. Such an entry permit will then allow onward travel to mainland USA by yacht.

Note: Individuals travelling on valid US visas are not required to apply for an ESTA travel authorization.

See US website for more details and an up-to-date list of countries whose citizens are eligible for entry to the US under the Visa Waiver Program. See also this US Department of Homeland Security website. Such citizens must (from April 2016) have a biometric chip in their passport (not just a machine readable one as previously).

It is worth repeating: a visa waiver does not apply if entering the USA for the first time by yacht.

Last updated:  August 2018



From the ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms) website:

An foreign citizen admitted to the United States under a non-immigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the they fall within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

Non-residents arriving in U.S. waters with a firearm for hunting/sport purposes must apply for a permit in advance of arrival from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) of the US Treasury Department. It can take up to 2-3 months for ATF to approve the temporary importation, so one is advised to submit the application well in advance. Failure to have an approved ATF Form 6 will result in firearms being detained or seized. The application form can be downloaded from the ATF website.

Returning US citizens do not require an import permit for firearms they have taken out of the country; however, this previous export must be proven by registering the firearms before departure with either customs or the ATF and may be subject to enhanced security checks.

Yacht Importing

A foreign visitor may temporarily import a pleasure boat into the USA free of duty if it is for his or her personal use. Import tarrifs must be paid within one year of the date of importation if the boat is sold or offered for sale or charter in the USA. Boats entered for alterations or repairs, as samples for taking orders or as professional equipment and tools of the trade, may be entered without payment of duty as temporary importation under bond. The length of stay is normally one year and cannot be extended beyond three years.

All forms can be downloaded from the website, US Customs and Border Protection.

Updated January 2018.

Customs telephone numbers for various states

All contact information can be found on the Customs and Border Protection website where all ports are listed. (Keep in mind the country code in the United States is 001 or +1.)

South Florida (Miami Customs District): All yachts arriving in Southern Florida in ports and marinas from Fort Pierce south and around the coast up to and including Ft Myers may call (800) 432-1216. This includes the Fort Pierce Area, Fort Lauderdale Area, West Palm Beach Area, Miami Area, Marco Island and Key West Area.

Alabama: Mobile (334) 441-5111, (504) 441-5895.

Alaska: Anchorage (907) 271-6309, (907) 271-6313, Juneau (907) 586-7211, Ketchikan (907) 225-2254, Sitka (907) 747-3374, Skagway (907) 983-2325, Valdez (907) 835-2355, Wrangell (907) 874-3415.

California: Los Angeles (310) 514-6013, (310) 514-6083, (310) 980-3300, San Diego (619) 557-5370, (619) 662-7209, San Francisco (415) 782-7423, (415) 782-9424/5, San Luis Obispo (805) 595-2381.

Connecticut: Bridgeport (203) 367-9487 & 9489, (800) 973-2867.

Delaware: (800) 743-7416 both places, also Dover (215) 596-1972, Wilmington (302) 573- 6191.

Florida: Fernandina Beach (904) 261-6154, Ft Myers (941) 225-0041, Jacksonville (St Augustine) (904) 360-5020, Panama City (850) 785-4688, Pensacola (904) 432-6811, Pt Canaveral (407) 783-2066, Pt Manatee (941) 729-9301, St Petersburg (727) 536-7311, Tampa (813) 228-2358.

Georgia: Brunswick (912) 262-6692, Savannah (912) 232-7507, (912) 652-4400, (912) 966- 0557.

Illinois: Chicago (312) 894-2900.

Louisiana: (504) 589-3771 all places, also New Orleans (504) 589-6804, Baton Rouge (504) 0261, Gramercy (504) 869-3765, Lake Charles (318) 439-5512, Morgan City (504) 384-6658.

Maine: Portland (207) 780-3228.

Maryland: Baltimore (410) 962-7986, (800) 973-2867.

Massachusetts: Boston (617) 737-2380, (800) 937-2867.

Michigan: Detroit (313) 226-3140,Grand Rapids (616) 456-2515, Port Huron (810) 985-9512, Sault Ste Marie (906) 632-2631 & 7221.

Minnesota: Baudette (218) 634-2803, Crane Lake (218) 933-2321, Duluth (218) 720-5203, Ely (218) 365-3262, Grand Marais (218) 387-1148 (May-October), Grand Portage (218) 475-2244, International Falls (218) 283-2541, Warroad (218) 386-2796.

Mississippi: (800) 973-2867 both places, also Gulfport (601) 864-6794, Pascagoula (601) 762- 7311.

New Jersey: Newark (201) 645-6561/ 2257/ 3762 & 2552, Perth Amboy (908) 442-0414 & 0416. (If one arrives in New Jersey south of the Manasquan Inlet contact Customs, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania office.)

New York: New York City: (6 World Trade Center) (212) 466-2901 (Pier 92 North River 0800-1600 only) (212) 399-2901, (Rosebank Staten Island) (718) 816-0469, Albany (518) 431-0200, (800) 827-2851, Buffalo (800) 927-5015, (716) 551-4311, Ogdensburg (800) 827-2851.

North Carolina: Morehead City (919) 726-5845/3561/2034, Wilmington (910) 343-4616.

North Dakota: Pembina (701) 825-6551.

Ohio: Cleveland (440) 267-3600, Toledo-Sandusky (888) 523-2628 (419) 259-6424, (419) 625-0022.

Oregon: Astoria (800) 562-5943, (503) 325-5541, Coos Bay (541) 267-6312, Newport (541) 265-6456, Portland no service, call Astoria.

Pennsylvania: Philadelphia (215) 597-4648, (215) 596-1971 (800) 973-2867.

Rhode Island: Newport (401) 847-2744, Providence (401) 941-6326.

South Carolina: Charleston (843) 723-1272.

Texas: (800) 973-2867 for most Texan ports, also Brownsville (956) 831-4121, (956) 548-2744, Freeport, Galvestan & Houston (713) 671-1100, (407) 975-2062, Port Arthur (409) 727-0285, Corpus Christi, Port Aransas, Port Lavaca, Port O'Connor & Rockport (512) 888-3352.

Virginia: Alexandria (703) 557-1950, Newport News (757) 245-6470, Norfolk (757) 441-6741, Richmond (804) 226-9675.

Washington: (800) 562-5943 for all Washington ports, also Aberdeen (360) 532-2030, Bellingham (360) 734-5463, Blaine (360) 332-6318, Everett (425) 259-0246, Friday/Roche Harbors (360) 378-2080, Longview (360) 425 3710, Neah Bay (206) 645-2311, Olympia (253) 593-6338, Point Roberts (360) 945-2314, Port Angeles (360) 457-4311, Port Townsend (360) 385-3777, Seattle (206) 593-6338, Tacoma (253) 593-6338, Vancouver (Canada) (604) 278-1825 & 7422.

Wisconsin: Green Bay (920) 496-0606, Milwaukee (414) 571-2875, Racine (414) 633-0286.


ZIKA Virus
There have been recent travel alerts regarding travel to parts of south Florida including the Miami area. Elsewhere in the United States, there have been confirmed cases of the ZIKA Virus. Mosquito-borne transmission is the most common source, but sexual contact with an infected person can also spread the disease.

There is growing concern about the rapid spread of the ZIKA Virus and the impact of the virus on pregnant women and babies. ZIKA is transmitted by mosquitos in tropical and sub-tropical climates, and there is currently no cure or vaccine. This situation is evolving rapidly, so please refer to the CDC’s dedicated website if you are intending to cruise in one of the effected areas.

Cost of healthcare:
Healthcare in the United States can be significantly more expensive than elsewhere in the world. Without adequate health insurance, a simple procedure or emergency room visit can cost many thousands of dollars. For minor injuries or illnesses, seek assistance at local "emergency care clinics", which operate separate from hospitals and usually cost less money. These clinics have a range of names, but "Rapid Care" or "Urgent Care" or "Critical Care" are typical.

Medicine restrictions: Some medicines are more strictly controlled by the USA Food & Drug Administration (FDA) than elsewhere in the world. This means that some medications that are typical in Europe or Asia will be unavailable over-the-counter or on-the-shelf without a prescription. Alternatively, medicines that are available on-the-shelf will be less effective than those in Europe, South America, or Asia. (An example of this is European cold/cough medicine with codine: codine is a controlled substance in the United States.)

Some names of medications are different in the United States. For instance, asking for "Paracetamol" even to a licensed pharmacist will not yield any results. Pre-research the American name of any medication you need from a drug store.


Cruising Licence:

Certain countries are eligible for a cruising licence (see below), which exempts them from having to clear in and out at any subsequent US port once official entry has been made. This exemption however may not apply everywhere and it would be wise to obtain additional written proof of the current requirements at the point of entry.

The licence is obtained from the US CBP office on arrival (or from Puerto Rico) and is valid for up to one year. After expiry, another licence may only be issued after the vessel has left for a foreign port and returned from a foreign port at least 15 days since the previous license expired. If wishing to leave the US and return within less than one year plus 15 days, be sure to request your cruising licence be issued for only the period you plan to be in the US. Cruising outside of U.S. waters while your cruising licence is still in effect does NOT fulfill the 15-day requirement. See this Noonsite report for possible difficulties.

The countries to which this applies are Argentina, Anguilla, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Belgium, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Honduras, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Liberia, Marshall Islands, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, St Vincent and the Grenadines, St Kitts and Nevis, Turks and Caicos, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey. This list is subject to change and it includes countries with which the USA has reciprocal arrangements.

It appears that officials interpret the rules differently in different states and it may be possible in some states to renew the cruising licence without leaving the country. It is reported that in Florida officials will require a yacht to leave the country for the 15 days minimum period before being able to renew.

According to the official CBP website, sequential cruising licences can be issued to US residents sailing a foreign-flagged boat if it was made in the U.S. or if duty has been paid on its importation.

Foreign yachts without a cruising licence must clear in and out of each subsequent US port visited.

Note that if arriving in the US directly from Cuba, you may well be denied a cruising licence. This happened to several foreign cruising boats in 2012 when arriving from Cuba and clearing into Key West.

If denied a cruising permit, it is recommended to try another Immigration office. Worth the effort as it's likely officials will give you the option of leaving the USA or getting "Permission to move" at each port ($36 per move).

It seems that although the rules are there, the application is haphazard.

CBP Decals:

All U.S. boats 30 feet in length or over must have a current decal. Once purchased, they are valid for 12 months.

Decals can now be bought online, follow the links from the Customs website. For more information go to

NOTE: Foreign-flagged yachts issued with a Cruising License do not require a Decal. This is a requirement for US vessels only.

Fishing Licenses

Licenses are required for fishing in nearly every state and are subject to local State jurisdiction. See this website for individual licensing requirements in each state. There are daily, seasonal, and annual catch limits described in the regulations for each area. There are also restrictions in some national parks and protected wildlife areas.

Licenses are available through most marine service outlets, fuel docks, sporting goods and hardware stores. A special Alaska Fish and Game License is required for fishing in National Parks such as Misty Fiords and Glacier Bay.

EPIRB Requirement

The US authorities require that all vessels intending to make offshore passages to have 406 MHz EPIRBs on board, and must have these registered and be able to show proof of such registration. Those who do not comply must register their EPIRB on arrival.

Boat Registration Documents

All yachts must carry their original registration documents. This is international maritime law.

For US yachts, the USCG offers emailed certified copies of your documentation certificates for a fee, if you cannot get your original forwarded to you before the old one expires.

A useful link is the USCG Vessel Documentation Center

A recent update now extends the USCG registration renewal period to 5 years instead of the annual renewal previously necessary. Also, an electronic form of the registration is acceptable (in US waters).

Another useful link is A Boater's Guide to Federal Regulations for Recreational Vessels

Enforcement Irregularities

Enforcement of individual rules, documentation, and registrations may be uneven around the countries. Often (at least in the East Coast), yachts that are laid up or in a boat yard will be ignored. However, the moment they are afloat – whether at a dock, moored, or anchored – they are subject to scrutiny by local and federal patrols.

Last updated:  August 2018

US Coast Guard
Contact for queries regarding documents.


There are no charges for overtime inspections performed by US customs at most ports, but there are occasionally fees for weekend arrivals in the USVI.

Cruising Licenses

Cruising licenses are obtainable from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Port Director at the first port of arrival in the United States.

There is no cost for a cruising license.

When a foreign-flagged vessel first arrives in the U.S. it will have to file a CBP-1300 (Vessel Entrance or Clearance Statement). There will be a $19 filing fee for a CBP-1300 form. At that time, the master of the vessel may apply for a cruising license.

Vessels are not required to obtain a cruising license, but foreign-flagged yachts without cruising licenses must file an additional CBP-1300 for each time the vessel changes ports and must clear in and out of each port. There is an additional $19 filing fee for each CBP-1300. This includes each arrival into the USA, departing from the USA to a foreign port, and ANY movement within the USA.

Cruising licenses may be granted for the following conditions: The yacht must be owned by an individual or a corporation who is a resident outside the United States, USVI, or Puerto Rico, and the yacht must possess a foreign flag, and there must be reciprocal arrangements for U.S. yachts operating in that country’s waters. The current list of qualifying countries is as follows: Argentina, Denmark, Ireland, Norway, Australia, Finland, Italy, St. Kitts & Nevis, Austria, France, Jamaica, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Bahamas, Germany, Liberia, Sweden, Belgium, Great Britain (and most British territories), Marshall Islands, Switzerland, Bermuda, Greece, Netherlands, Turkey, Canada, Honduras, New Zealand.

US pleasure craft and foreign yachts without a cruising license and longer than 30 ft (9 m) LOA must pay an annual fee of US$27.50 for a "CBP DTOPS User Fee Decal." The decal may be purchased online through the DTOPS website. Foreign-flagged vessels are no longer required to obtain a DTOPS decal if they obtain a cruising license. A DTOPS User Fee Decal expires on December 31st of its issue year, not one year from issuance date

Required Pilot Programs

A law passed by the Washington State Legislature calls for a pilot aboard ALL non-US or Canadian yachts when in their waters. If there is no pilot aboard, then an exemption from the Washington State Pilots Commission has to be purchased. The fee for the exemption is $300 for 90 days, or $500 for a year.

For US-owned Yachts

If a boat is purchased in a state which does not charge sales tax, and then moved to another which does, within the first year, then a use fee may be charged if the boat remains in use in that state for more that a certain period. This requirement varies depending on the state. The amount charged is usually the sales tax percentage applicable in the new state.

If a US citizen who resides in the USA purchases a yacht overseas, it will be subject to import tariff upon arrival in the first US port. The yacht may not be permitted to clear customs until the import tax is collected. The import tariff is calculated as a percentage of the original purchase price in US$. This tax is not levied in USVI (duty free port), but the tax is required to be paid in Puerto Rico.

A fee can also also apply if a boat remains for a period of time somewhere other than its home state.

Not all states pursue the collection of this fee. See Noonsite Report for the situation in Maryland.

Last updated January 2018.


It is prohibited to import many food and plant products and yachts are subject to an agricultural inspection on arrival, including those arriving in the US mainland from Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Meat and meat products, fresh produce and plants are among the items normally confiscated. Bakery products, cured cheeses and canned meat are generally admissible.

Also restricted is the import of any wildlife and fish which are considered an endangered species by the USA, or any of their products. This includes tortoise shell jewellery, leather, whalebone and ivory, coral, skins and furs.

Foreign yachts may not charter coastwise in the United States and this includes fishing trips. Foreign vessels may carry charter guests when leaving for a foreign destination or when arriving from a foreign port.

Washington State Pilotage Requirements

The Washington State Pilot Board has a regulation requiring all foreign flagged vessels carry a pilot or get an exemption. The exemption requires a fee of $50 for all foreign cruising yachts of 50 ft or less (except for Canadian yachts that regularly sail West Coast waters) and covers a period up to a year.

Application forms for the exemption can be submitted online and submitted via email. The form is available at
Washington State Pilotage Commission
Tel: 206.515.3647
Fax: 206.515.3906
Email: [email protected]

Alaskan Pilotage Requirements

Foreign pleasure vessels vessels under 65 feet in length, US-flagged vessels, and Canadian-flagged vessels that regularly sail Alaskan waters are all exempt.

Non-US pleasure vessels of 65ft to 174ft require an exemption to transit without a pilot. However, they must use a pilot for navigation of Wrangell Narrows and Peril Strait.

Pleasure craft of 175ft and larger, and of foreign registry, must have a pilot at all times. All foreign-flagged vessels for commercial use must employ a pilot, regardless of length and tonnage.

The exemptions are valid for one year from the date on which the exemption is issued. The application for an exemption must be submitted to the board at least 30 days before the vessel enters the state. Exemption fees are $250 plus $50 for every foot over 65 feet (20m). Pilotage fees through Wrangell Narrows and Peril Straights will be several thousand additional dollars.

Failure to meet these requirements can result in a fine of up to $20,000.
Renda Heimbigner, Marine Pilot Coordinator
Alaska Board of Marine Pilots
Phone (907)465-2548, Fax (907)465-2974
PO Box 110806, Juneau, AK 99811-0806

Further information on the Statute:

Anchoring in Florida
The anchoring restrictions, previously enforced in some areas of Florida, have now been recinded. The concept of liveaboard now excludes any boat which is "navigated", even if it does so only occasionally. See report Anchoring in Florida for more details.

Also, previous city ordinances prohibited anchoring in many municipalities around Florida. The Florida legislature passed HB 7043, which eliminates those restrictions and prohibits cities from creating any restrictions. The law maintains a few restrictions, but they are in line with previous laws (such as anchoring distances and the removal of derelict vessels).

EPA Compliance for Imported Vessels

Due to new electronic filing systems and improved interagency communications, the Environmental Protection Agency has begun enforcing compliance on exhaust emissions on imported vessels. Both diesel and gasoline engines mounted in yachts imported into the United States must prove EPA compliance as a condition of their import. This only applies to vessels fully imported into the United States and does not apply to vessels visiting the USA for a limited stay. See this report for further information.

Restricted Items Typically Confiscated by US Customs

US Citizens and permanent residents of the United States are required to declare any merchandise acquired overseas. Cruisers report having problems with the following items: merchandise from embargoed countries (for example: Cuban cigars); cultural artifacts or antiques; foreign fruits and vegetables; live plants or seeds; or large amounts of alcohol (50 gallons might be too much for some inspectors). Many of these restrictions do not apply to short-term visitors, but it may be prudent to check compliance. See this report for more specific information.

Holding Tank Requirements

Current USA law varies by state, but as a general rule yachts with toilets must not discharge their waste overboard if operating withina "no discharge zone" (NDZ). These areas are almost all inland waterways and small bays. Larger waterways (multiple miles across) are subject to the local jurisdictions. Pursuant to the Clean Water Act and the establishment of NDZ, the general rule on the East Coast is that everywhere inland of three miles is "no discharge zone." Noonsite is not aware of any state laws that mandate a holding tank – only that waste is not discharged overboard. A complete list – with maps – of the No Discharge Zones by state can be found on the EPA website.

Greywater tanks are not generally required; however, discharge may be restricted in national parks or other sensitive ecological areas. Sensitive aquatic areas (such as marine sanctuaries), public swimming areas, or areas where there is a public drinking water intake may also have restrictions on bilge water. Enforcement of this is usually done by reports only (i.e., someone notices significant oil on the water coming from a particular boat and is then reported). The US Coast Guard is the primary enforcer of NDZ's, but local law enforcement agencies (and park rangers) may also have jurisdiction.

Yachts with holding tanks must "lock" their overboard discharge in some way. This means that the overboard discharge thru-hull must be closed and secured in some way that looks as though it is not regularly used.

Though enforcement is infrequent, fines for improper discharging of effluent can be massive.

Deck-access holding tank pump-out facilities are common and most marinas have this ability. Noonsite indicates "pump-out services available" on the individual marina listings. NOTE: There was once a law in some states (Florida, et al) that an indicator dye would be placed in the holding tank at each pump-out and the dye would be spot-checked by enforcement officers. At the time of writing, this law is no longer being enforced. However, most holding tank treatments are still heavily dyed and it is obvious when someone discharges their holding tank overboard.

Kitchen or bathroom sinks may discharge overboard at anytime as long as the substance is not oil, fuel, paint, or other flammable or caustic chemical.

Last updated January 2018.

Wider Caribbean's Marine Protected Areas (CaMPAM)
A useful database of MPAs in the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean region. All Marine Parks are MPAs, and therefore if wanting to find out about any marine parks in the islands you are visiting, details and location can be sourced via this website.

Local Customs

State Laws

Laws vary from state to state. When you are physically present in a state, even temporarily, you are subject to the laws of both federal AND state laws. You must carry a passport with you at all times showing that you have leave to enter or remain. If traveling state-to-state, it is not necessary to check in and out of each state as though they are separate countries unless required by CBP instructions.

Keep all documents given to you by a federal agency or official. Often, the federal rules will supersede state laws and, if there is a contradiction, the federal instruction will often override the states.

LGBT Travel

The US is an extremely diverse society and attitudes towards LGBT people differ widely across the country. Transgender travelers may be affected by legislation passed recently in the states of North Carolina and Mississippi, which is also being considered in other states.

The UK Foreign Office has issued a travel alert regarding this controversial law.

Last updated January 2018.

Clearance Agents

It is not necessary for private yachts to use Clearance Agents or Customs Brokers. However, if a broker/agent is needed, they must be registered properly through US Customs & Border Protection (CBP). Unlicensed brokers are illegal in the USA.

A full list of brokers (by state) can be found at the CBP website. Click on the state to which you intend to arrive then select the Port of Entry. On each page there is a "Broker" link with all contact information.


The necessary notification and forms required to take pets to the US can be complicated. A very useful report on one cruiser's experience can be read on the Noonsite report.

Pre-notification of the intention to bring pets into the country is required. Pets originating from non-rabies countries will have a much easier process.

Cats and dogs must be free of diseases communicable to humans. Vaccination against rabies is not required for cats and dogs arriving from rabies-free countries. Otherwise, dogs must have a valid (recent) rabies vaccination certificate.

Most pets will be subject to an additional period of quarantine if all documentation is not in order. Quarantine will have a per day cost.

If crossing the Pacific, Hilo, Hawaii is reported to be the best place to clear in with pets.

The Hawaii Animal Quarantine page is a useful website.

Pet birds may be brought in, but will be subject to at least 30 days quarantine on arrival at the owner's expense in a Department of Agriculture facility. These facilities are only available in New York, Miami, San Ysidro, Honolulu, Hidalgo and Los Angeles, and bird owners must enter at one of these six ports of entry. The quarantine must be arranged in advance and the quarantine fee should be paid not later than on arrival.

Further details can be obtained from the US Department of Treasury, US Customs Service, Washington DC 20229, who publish special leaflets: Importing a Pet Bird, Pets, Wildlife.

Updated January 2018.

Sue Richards
Sue Richards says:
Oct 22, 2018 10:57 AM

Please remember that flood waters from Florence and now from Michael will have lifted tons of debris into the Waterway channels and submerged hazards can do serious damage to your vessel. See Waterway Guide for the latest updates -

Sue Richards
Sue Richards says:
May 11, 2018 09:10 AM

Reported by Joan Conover (SSCA):

All Florida boatyards are full up with boat repairs..we cant find anyone to work on our boat (cutless bearing). Marathon Marina is open, they can haul us..but no one available to WORK on the boat except one yard which has a very iffy reputation. Same for Key West..and also here in West Palm Beach which we diverted to. We whined our way to getting our jib repaired using a sailmaker who Donna Lange is a close friend with..she is here and has given us ideas of who to ask for work.

LOTS of boats heading to the Med on freighters..and at least five large yachts jus scrubbed their winter season (didn't know where to the Caribbean) and SAT at the dock here in West Palm Beach. So the boats are either south near Grenada..docked in Florida/East Coast USA..or on freighters heading to the Med. The boats were just coming in and loading out of Crown Bay/IGY Marina in St. Thomas. Think it will be a big Med season coming up.

Of course the LOOP may be another cruising choice for boaters..or the Western Gulf of Mexico/Florida..depending on the storms this season.

bobnlesley says:
Jun 29, 2016 10:02 PM

Regarding Cruising Licences/Permits, specifically with regard to the cancelling/surrendering of one permit to enable a new one to be obtained when returning to the USA within the same twelve months, we had an enlightening conversation with the CPB Officer in St Augustine earlier this week; the key point being that whilst a Cruising Permit cannot exceed twelve months, it does not have to witten for a full twelve months; you can ask for a shorter period. We got one issued which is dated to expire in a little over eight months (when we know that we'll be outside of the USA) and if we do then return here for the next hurricane season too, we will be eligible for a new one when we return. Apparently he issues many of these sub-twelve month licences to the Canadian yachts which spend each winter in the Bahamas and wish to return to the USA, on or around the same date each year, rather than have their 'earliest return' date pushed out by fifteen days each time.

Richard Farrington
Richard Farrington says:
Jun 19, 2018 11:50 PM

We arrived in Key West from Havana in June 2018. We had no problems at all. We had US Visas issued in London and obtained our US Cruising Permit in Culebra, Spanish Virgin Islands. Aware of some scuttlebut, I rang the CPB office in Key West before arriving in Cuba. The officer told me that as a British registered boat with British nationals onboard, they could not care less where we arrived from, so long as we met US entry requirements. We were not breaking any British laws by visiting Cuba, so the UA authorities were delighted to see us. They were very helpful, very cheerful and set the tone for an excellent stay in Key West.

Val Ellis
Val Ellis says:
Nov 24, 2015 09:00 AM

Posted on behalf of Andrew Smyth
I saw that some people had problems arriving in Key West from Havana. The best advice, which we followed, was to head on up to West Palm Beach and enter the US there. The customs and immigration have a big office which services the cruise liners close to the marinas. They weren’t the friendliest, but they didn’t question our arrival from Cuba.

Sue Richards
Sue Richards says:
Oct 19, 2015 11:57 AM

Where to winter on board in Alaska - great article by SY Salty Kisses.

LouiseJohnson says:
Jul 09, 2015 03:09 PM

Info for any non-US sailors wishing to maximise their 12-month US cruising licence, we 'surrendered' the licence provided whilst cruising USVI's, Spanish VI's and Puerto Rico mainland (we surrendered at Mayaguez, west coast PR), sailed onto the Bahamas for a few weeks, then were able to obtain a fresh 12-month cruising licence on making landfall in Charleston, South Carolina. We were aware that award of the full 12-months licence is at the CBP Officers discretion, but we were never made to feel that the full 12-months was not likely. Interesting to note that in Charleston they were very aware that we'd surrendered our earlier licence in PR, so the computer tracking system certainly works.
And with regard to calling in to report change of location, we were initially told to do this whenever we change location of towns (one bay to the next was unnecessary), but after reporting assiduously through South Caroline, once in North Carolina we were told not to report until we reach the next State, and now on arrival in Virginia, were told the same - maybe once you've built up a track record of reporting, you're no longer considered such a risk... Anyhow, we've never felt any less than fully welcomed wherever we've been so far!

Wayne says:
Jul 06, 2015 08:30 AM

A 'heads up' for any 'third country nationals' planning on visiting the US (including Hawaii) from Mexico. I have just been through a protracted email exchange with the US Embassy in Mexico, trying to clarify the situation about me, as an Australian, applying for a B1/B2 visitor visa so that I could call in at Hawaii on my way home. The US State Department web site says that I CAN apply in Mexico. The US Embassy (Mexico) web site says that I CANNOT. Tho outcome of the email exchange is that the embassy insists that I becasue I am not resident in Mexico I cannot apply here, and it is therefore illegal for me to call at Hawaii. The embassy advised me to "apply in Australia", even after I reminded them that I am already in Mexico. Sure, why not?

Sue Richards
Sue Richards says:
May 25, 2015 10:57 AM

The above cruising boat is Dutch. We are currently waiting on an official reply from the authorities in Key West to clarify the exact rules re. cruising between Cuba and Key West.

Ron Heyselaar
Ron Heyselaar says:
May 23, 2015 10:14 PM

A little correction on the above. After sailed from Havana to Key West and called the toll free number in the US, we were kindly told that we were in violation of the US law. The Cruising License was cancelled by the Key West CBP officer in charge. All very friendly but not helpful. Obviously, we should have known that we might end up in trouble. We will need to leave the country and, upon entry of the US, reapply for the Cruising License. The main issue is that, for now, it is illegal to sail directly to and from Cuba to the USA. Key West station is strictly enforcing this particular law with NO leeway.

Ron Heyselaar
Ron Heyselaar says:
Mar 28, 2015 09:48 PM

We found the official process to clear into the US extremely easy and straightforward. We sailed into Ensenada Honda in Culebra Spanish Virgin Iands (part of Puerto Rico) and cleared at the airport. You have to call the toll free number first to register your arrival before you are allowed to come onshore and visit the CBP official. After the usual paperwork (US loves paperwork) we were issued a one year cruising permit for free and a six month period to remain in the US. For the latter we were charged USD 19. Although leaving US waters (visit to Cuba) there is no need to fill out new paperwork once we arrive in Key West. As for all foreign vessels we will need to call the toll free number of CBP in KW to notify our arrival. It is required to call in every time one arrives in a new CBP area. Toll free numbers on the CBP website. As said, all straightforward and quick.

Sue Richards
Sue Richards says:
Aug 08, 2014 08:18 PM

A Summer Wilderness Cruise in Prince William Sound, Alaska.
Read this great report by SY Seal (August 2014) at SAIL Magazine.

Sue Richards
Sue Richards says:
May 14, 2014 09:46 PM

Posted on behalf of Ann Lange
This is for Canadian cruisers wanting to enter the U.S. from the Caribbean. We sailed up from Brazil - Trinidad - north through the Caribbean to BVI's. We had no problems what so ever getting into the USVI's, just the normal paper work. We asked if we could purchase a U.S. cruising permit in the USVI's, the answer was no but we could obtain it in Puerto Rico. We sailed into San Juan without phoning or anything and once we found the Customs and Border Protection office on the south side of the main harbour they issued us a one year cruising permit. It cost us $37.00 USD in April of 2014, this allows us to cruise anywhere in the U.S. including any protectorates. We found this process very simple and easy compared with all the rumours we had heard.

East Coast
Gulf Coast
West Coast
Main Ports
Local Customs
Clearance Agents
General Info
Time Zone
Yachting Essentials
Opening Hours
Diplomatic Missions
Update History
American Samoa
Antigua & Barbuda
Ascension Island
BIOT (Chagos)
British Virgin Islands
Canary Islands
Cape Verdes
Cayman Islands
Channel Islands
Christmas Island
Cocos Keeling
Cook Islands
Costa Rica
Dominican Republic
East Timor (Timor Leste)
Easter Island
El Salvador
Falkland Islands
Faroe Islands
Federated States of Micronesia
French Guiana
French Polynesia
French Subantarctic Territory
Heard, McDonald & Macquarie Islands
Hong Kong
Ivory Coast
Juan Fernandez Islands
Marion & Prince Edward Island
Marshall Islands
Myanmar (Burma)
New Caledonia
New Zealand
New Zealand's Subantarctic Islands
Norfolk Island
Northern Marianas
Palau (Belau)
Papua New Guinea
Pitcairn Island
Puerto Rico
Reunion Island
Sao Tome and Principe
Saudi Arabia
Sierra Leone
Sint Maarten
Solomon Islands
South Africa
South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands
South Korea
Spanish Virgin Islands
Sri Lanka
St Barts
St Helena
St Kitts & Nevis
St Lucia
St Martin
St Pierre & Miquelon
St Vincent & the Grenadines
Subantarctic & Southern Ocean Islands
Trinidad & Tobago
Tristan da Cunha
Turks & Caicos
US Virgin Islands
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom
Wallis and Futuna
Add/Update Your Business
If you would like your business to be listed, or the details are wrong, please update your business
Related Reports
The Intracoastal Waterway and the Great Loop

The Intracoastal Waterway and the Great Loop (12 Dec 2018)

Report Icon

Pacific - List of Radio Nets (12 Dec 2018)

Report Icon

Cuba: Clarification of the Rules for US Yachts Visiting Cuba (17 Apr 2018)

Yacht Transport via Freighter: Florida to Mexico

Yacht Transport via Freighter: Florida to Mexico (11 Apr 2018)

Report Icon

Alaska to Mexico 2017: Foreign flagged vessels in San Diego (15 Jan 2018)

Florida, USA: Arriving in Ft. Lauderdale from overseas

Florida, USA: Arriving in Ft. Lauderdale from overseas (27 Aug 2017)

Report Icon

The Pacific Crossing Guide - 3rd Edition (17 Oct 2016)

USA: Science and Solitude on the Chesapeake's Crowded Waters

USA: Science and Solitude on the Chesapeake's Crowded Waters (23 Mar 2016)

USA: New Requirement for ALL Foreign-Flagged Boats

USA: New Requirement for ALL Foreign-Flagged Boats (13 Jan 2016)

USA: Alaska Harbours

USA: Alaska Harbours (12 Nov 2015)

Clearing into the USA West Coast with Animals on board

Clearing into the USA West Coast with Animals on board (08 Jul 2015)

USA: Immigration Problems of which to be Aware

USA: Immigration Problems of which to be Aware (03 Sep 2014)

New Publications for Cold Water Cruising

New Publications for Cold Water Cruising (18 Jun 2014)

Report Icon

Entry into the United States on a British registered vessel (15 Jun 2014)

Accurate Information for Yachtsmen Entering the USA

Accurate Information for Yachtsmen Entering the USA (09 Mar 2014)

Report Icon

Gulf Stream Weather (13 Dec 2013)

Report Icon

USA: Change to MARPOL Garbage Regulations (29 Nov 2013)

USA & Canadian Citizens: Is DAN Insurance an option?

USA & Canadian Citizens: Is DAN Insurance an option? (04 Nov 2013)

Report Icon

Florida Keys, Sarasota: New Mooring Field (24 Jan 2013)

Report Icon

Buenos Aires to San Francisco (28 Aug 2012)

Report Icon

Heading USA to Mexico? Important Information (16 Jul 2012)

Report Icon

Crossing Canada and Voyaging Down the St. Lawrence to Nova Scotia (10 Jul 2012)

Report Icon

St. Johns River - Jacksonville: Recommendation for DIY Boatyard (16 Feb 2012)

Report Icon

Proof of Competency for European Countries (04 Nov 2011)

Report Icon

N Carolina, Ocracoke - Inlet Shoaling - Update (25 Oct 2011)

Report Icon

Green Cove Springs - One of the Last "DIY" Marinas in Florida (14 Jun 2011)

Report Icon

Security Warnings for Norfolk, VA, USA (21 Mar 2011)

Report Icon

California: Visiting yachts to have dye placed in holding tank (09 Sep 2010)

Report Icon

The Local Boater Option (LBO) for Florida Boaters if Cruising between the US, Bahamas or the Caribbean (02 May 2010)

Report Icon

Warning on Chandlery Scam in Florida (18 Apr 2010)

Report Icon

Baltimore, MD - Marinalife Partners with Beacon Wi-Fi (16 Apr 2010)

Report Icon

Washington DC - Proposed Mooring Field (15 Apr 2010)

Report Icon

Buying a second hand yacht in the USA to export (06 Apr 2010)

Report Icon

US SAILING creates International Proficiency Certificate for Bareboat Chartering (01 Mar 2010)

Report Icon

Washington, San Juan Island: Proposed No Go Zone to Protect Orca Feeding Areas (21 Jan 2010)

Report Icon

Visiting Yacht Owners Balk at Maine's Use Taxes (15 Jan 2010)

Report Icon

Selling a Foreign-Flagged Boat in Canada or the USA (02 Jan 2010)

Report Icon

USA: Seattle to San Francisco (30 Dec 2009)

Report Icon

Minneford Marina, New York City - Discounts for Noonsite Readers (01 Dec 2009)

Report Icon

New Law Requires Training for Florida Boaters (22 Oct 2009)

Report Icon

More Thoughts on Vancouver to San Francisco (03 Sep 2009)

Report Icon

Attention All Foreign Flagged Cruising Craft Visiting the USA (09 May 2009)

Report Icon

Vancouver to San Francisco in September - Further Comment (02 Mar 2009)

Report Icon

Seattle to New Zealand - More comments added (23 Feb 2009)

Report Icon

FWC gears up for Operation Liveaboard in Florida (20 Feb 2009)

Report Icon

USA, San Diego to Easter Island, Juan Fernandez and Valparaiso (03 Oct 2008)

Report Icon

VAT - Importing US vessel into EU - CE-Mark (27 Jul 2008)

Report Icon

San Diego to Brisbane - South or North? (11 Jul 2008)

Report Icon

From the Chesapeake to Lake Ontario, via the Hudson River (26 Jun 2008)

Report Icon

Azores to Jacksonville, Florida (24 Jun 2008)

Report Icon

USA, Los Angeles to Hawaii (24 Jun 2008)

Report Icon

Marshall Islands to USA (22 May 2008)

Report Icon

USA, Florida to Margarita, Venezuela (18 May 2008)

Report Icon

Los Angeles to Hawaii (15 May 2008)

Report Icon

B.C. Victoria to Pt. Montt, Chile (15 May 2008)

Report Icon

Caribbean, St. Lucia to Maine, USA (14 May 2008)

Report Icon

USA to Panama in April (14 May 2008)

Report Icon

Chile, Valdivia to San Diego, CA. (14 May 2008)

Report Icon

New Discharge Permits To Affect Yachts (27 Mar 2008)

Report Icon

Washington & Alaska State Pilotage Requirements (26 Mar 2008)

Report Icon

US Coastguard To Install Summer Arctic Base (01 Nov 2007)

Report Icon

US Charts Now Available Online (16 Jan 2007)

Report Icon

Delivery from NY to the Great Lakes (11 Oct 2005)

Related News
SSCA Net from Nova Scotia to South America: Volunteer Net Controllers Needed

SSCA Net from Nova Scotia to South America: Volunteer Net Controllers Needed  (05 Dec 2018)

USA, North Carolina: Boats Sunk by Hurricane Florence Were Raised—and then Sunk Again

USA, North Carolina: Boats Sunk by Hurricane Florence Were Raised—and then Sunk Again  (28 Nov 2018)

Northeastern Pacific Ocean: New Satellite Improves Weather Forecasting

Northeastern Pacific Ocean: New Satellite Improves Weather Forecasting  (20 Nov 2018)

Florida and Alabama: Northern Gulf Marinas Recovering From Hurricane Michael

Florida and Alabama: Northern Gulf Marinas Recovering From Hurricane Michael  (14 Nov 2018)

USA - Hurricane Michael: Unimaginable destruction across Florida Panhandle

USA - Hurricane Michael: Unimaginable destruction across Florida Panhandle  (11 Oct 2018)

USA: Hurricane Michael Threatening Florida Panhandle

USA: Hurricane Michael Threatening Florida Panhandle  (09 Oct 2018)

USA, Annapolis: World Cruising Club at the US Sailboat Show

USA, Annapolis: World Cruising Club at the US Sailboat Show  (01 Oct 2018)

Current Hurricane and Typhoon Updates

Current Hurricane and Typhoon Updates  (14 Sep 2018)

USA: Hawaii Bans Sunscreen that Damages Coral

USA: Hawaii Bans Sunscreen that Damages Coral  (13 Sep 2018)

USA: Strengthening Hurricane Florence to pose serious threat to US East Coast later this week

USA: Strengthening Hurricane Florence to pose serious threat to US East Coast later this week  (11 Sep 2018)

USA, San Francisco: The World’s First Ocean Cleanup System Launched

USA, San Francisco: The World’s First Ocean Cleanup System Launched  (09 Sep 2018)

Worldwide Marine Radio-Fax Changes: Effective from 19 September 2018

Worldwide Marine Radio-Fax Changes: Effective from 19 September 2018  (03 Sep 2018)

USA: Small Vessel Reporting System replaced by CBP ROAM app from September 5, 2018

USA: Small Vessel Reporting System replaced by CBP ROAM app from September 5, 2018  (03 Sep 2018)

USA: Red Tide along Gulf Coast - Reported by Cruisers' Net

USA: Red Tide along Gulf Coast - Reported by Cruisers' Net  (02 Sep 2018)

Heading to the Caribbean this Fall? Find out about Sargassum.....

Heading to the Caribbean this Fall? Find out about Sargassum.....  (22 Aug 2018)

USA, West Coast:  Circumnavigators almost lose everything just a handful of miles from home

USA, West Coast: Circumnavigators almost lose everything just a handful of miles from home  (07 Aug 2018)

Changes in the Gulf Stream

Changes in the Gulf Stream  (20 Jul 2018)

Portugal, Algarve: World Cruising Club's west to east transatlantic rally ends in Marina de Lagos

Portugal, Algarve: World Cruising Club's west to east transatlantic rally ends in Marina de Lagos   (18 Jun 2018)

US Customs & Border Protection: New Small Boat Reporting Procedures Now In Effect - Updated

US Customs & Border Protection: New Small Boat Reporting Procedures Now In Effect - Updated  (06 Jun 2018)

Caribbean Sea, Puerto Rico: US family rescued transiting from Turks and Caicos to the Dominican Republic

Caribbean Sea, Puerto Rico: US family rescued transiting from Turks and Caicos to the Dominican Republic  (04 Jun 2018)

Alberto: First Named Storm of 2018 Hurricane Season

Alberto: First Named Storm of 2018 Hurricane Season  (28 May 2018)

2018 ARC Europe: Bound for Bermuda!

2018 ARC Europe: Bound for Bermuda!  (09 Apr 2018)

World Cruising Club USA: eNews

World Cruising Club USA: eNews  (09 Mar 2018)

USA: Google to map South Florida waterways

USA: Google to map South Florida waterways  (07 Mar 2018)

Caribbean, Bahamas & USA East Coast: SSCA Net expands its service

Caribbean, Bahamas & USA East Coast: SSCA Net expands its service  (08 Jan 2018)

Help transport Disaster Relief Cargo if you are headed to the Caribbean

Help transport Disaster Relief Cargo if you are headed to the Caribbean  (27 Nov 2017)

Cuba: Important news for US boats interested in cruising to Cuba

Cuba: Important news for US boats interested in cruising to Cuba  (09 Nov 2017)

USA: FCC Approve Icom M802 Waiver

USA: FCC Approve Icom M802 Waiver  (20 Oct 2017)

Report Icon

Texas, USA: Hurricane Harvey Severly Damages Coastal Areas - Widespread Flooding Continues  (01 Sep 2017)

North Atlantic Mayday: Dismasted 230nm southwest of Iceland

North Atlantic Mayday: Dismasted 230nm southwest of Iceland  (01 Aug 2017)

USA Sailors: a warning about renewing USCG documentation early via Pay.Gov

USA Sailors: a warning about renewing USCG documentation early via Pay.Gov  (28 Jul 2017)

USA, Virginia: Cruising Great Loses Second Boat

USA, Virginia: Cruising Great Loses Second Boat  (30 Jun 2017)

Cuba: President Trump changes Cuba policies again

Cuba: President Trump changes Cuba policies again  (25 Jun 2017)

USA: EPA enforcing compliance on yachts imported into the USA

USA: EPA enforcing compliance on yachts imported into the USA  (22 Jun 2017)

Portrait of a Cruiser – Patrick and Rebecca Childress

Portrait of a Cruiser – Patrick and Rebecca Childress  (14 Jun 2017)

Active Captain acquired by Garmin

Active Captain acquired by Garmin  (12 May 2017)

BVI Rally Season: ARC Europe and ARC USA offices open in just 2 weeks

BVI Rally Season: ARC Europe and ARC USA offices open in just 2 weeks  (16 Apr 2017)

NOAA invites public comment on draft National Charting Plan

NOAA invites public comment on draft National Charting Plan  (25 Mar 2017)

USA: FCC Mandate changing Cruiser Communications

USA: FCC Mandate changing Cruiser Communications  (01 Feb 2017)

ARC Pacific - new rally route from Los Angeles to Hiva Oa, via Mexico , announced for Spring 2018

ARC Pacific - new rally route from Los Angeles to Hiva Oa, via Mexico , announced for Spring 2018  (19 Jan 2017)

Report Icon

Chesapeake Bay to St. Maarten: Atlantic 57 Catamaran capsizes  (05 Dec 2016)

BVI's, Tortola: The 27th ARC Caribbean 1500 Wraps Up in Nanny Cay

BVI's, Tortola: The 27th ARC Caribbean 1500 Wraps Up in Nanny Cay  (20 Nov 2016)

UK, USA & Germany: Ocean cruising experts share their sailing knowledge at Boat Show Forums

UK, USA & Germany: Ocean cruising experts share their sailing knowledge at Boat Show Forums   (28 Jun 2016)

Cuba: U.S. Approves Boat Insurance for Cuba Travel

Cuba: U.S. Approves Boat Insurance for Cuba Travel  (23 Jun 2016)

USA, Florida, Sarasota: Liveboard family missing

USA, Florida, Sarasota: Liveboard family missing  (21 Jun 2016)

Donna Lange completes second solo sail around the world at the end of this month

Donna Lange completes second solo sail around the world at the end of this month  (19 May 2016)

USA: Coast Guard removes Conditions of Entry on vessels arriving from Cuba

USA: Coast Guard removes Conditions of Entry on vessels arriving from Cuba  (27 Mar 2016)

UK Coastguard warning after two American yachtsmen spark multiple rescues

UK Coastguard warning after two American yachtsmen spark multiple rescues  (22 Jan 2016)

USA: New Requirement for ALL Foreign-Flagged Boats

USA: New Requirement for ALL Foreign-Flagged Boats  (13 Jan 2016)

Guyana, Georgetown: Can you help get sailing research vessel back to the USA?

Guyana, Georgetown: Can you help get sailing research vessel back to the USA?  (30 Nov 2015)

USA to the BVIs: The 26th ARC Caribbean 1500 Wraps Up in Tortola.

USA to the BVIs: The 26th ARC Caribbean 1500 Wraps Up in Tortola.  (25 Nov 2015)

Alaska to San Diego: French Single-Hander with cat rescued

Alaska to San Diego: French Single-Hander with cat rescued  (21 Oct 2015)

Bahamas: Hurricane Joaquin Blasting the Central Bahamas

Bahamas: Hurricane Joaquin Blasting the Central Bahamas  (30 Sep 2015)

USA, Assateague Island: Warnings Issued About Submerged Dredge Pipe In Bay; Six Vessels Damaged So Far

USA, Assateague Island: Warnings Issued About Submerged Dredge Pipe In Bay; Six Vessels Damaged So Far  (11 Sep 2015)

Report Icon

Mexico is cracking down on U.S. boaters who venture into its waters  (25 Jul 2015)

Venezuela:  Deterioration in United States - Venezuela  Relations Impact Cruisers

Venezuela: Deterioration in United States - Venezuela Relations Impact Cruisers  (12 Mar 2015)

Report Icon

Florida to Bahamas: Family Rescued after catamaran breaks in half  (28 Jan 2015)

USA: Print-on-demand Imray Caribbean charts now available

USA: Print-on-demand Imray Caribbean charts now available  (22 Jan 2015)

25th ARC Caribbean 1500 Wraps up at Nanny Cay Marina in the BVI

25th ARC Caribbean 1500 Wraps up at Nanny Cay Marina in the BVI  (28 Nov 2014)

Report Icon

USA, Florida, Ft. Lauderdale: Plans to dredge the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW)   (23 Jul 2014)

First book on High Latitude Sailing released

First book on High Latitude Sailing released  (21 May 2014)

USA East Coast Florida: Anti-anchoring amendments defeated

USA East Coast Florida: Anti-anchoring amendments defeated  (24 Apr 2014)

Steve Black - 1943 to 2014

Steve Black - 1943 to 2014  (18 Mar 2014)

Atlantic: Swedish Sailors Rescued

Atlantic: Swedish Sailors Rescued  (12 Mar 2014)

Eastern Caribbean and now the Pacific: The Coconut Telegraph SSB Net extends its reach

Eastern Caribbean and now the Pacific: The Coconut Telegraph SSB Net extends its reach  (28 Feb 2014)

USA: NOAA Announces End of Traditional Paper Nautical Charts

USA: NOAA Announces End of Traditional Paper Nautical Charts  (05 Jan 2014)

Practical preparation for an offshore passage from the experts  at World Cruising Club  UK and USA

Practical preparation for an offshore passage from the experts at World Cruising Club UK and USA  (16 Dec 2013)

USA, Port Everglades: Removal of smokestack landmarks

USA, Port Everglades: Removal of smokestack landmarks  (23 Jul 2013)

USA: Yacht abandoned near Bermuda washes up on Martha's Vineyard 54 days later

USA: Yacht abandoned near Bermuda washes up on Martha's Vineyard 54 days later  (21 Jul 2013)

Cargo Ship Rescues Australian Sailor in the Pacific Ocean

Cargo Ship Rescues Australian Sailor in the Pacific Ocean  (16 May 2013)

Report Icon

USA, San Juan Islands: New Free Cruising Guide by Salish Sea Pilot  (21 Feb 2013)

Report Icon

USA: NOAA and U.S. Power Squadrons Renew Cooperative Charting Program  (25 Jan 2013)

Report Icon

USA: Weather Underground Launches New Sailing & Boating Weather Service  (23 Aug 2012)

Report Icon

Caution when Entering the USA from Cuba - with Updates  (22 May 2012)

Report Icon

USA, Southern New England: Coastguard Implements New Warning Device  (10 May 2012)

Report Icon

USA, Rhode Island: Newport's New Maritime Centre  (12 Apr 2012)

Report Icon

Some Good News Regarding the International Certificate of Competence  (07 Mar 2012)

Report Icon

USA: Anchoring Restrictions Proposed from Maryland to Florida  (28 Jun 2011)

Report Icon

Warning About GPS Unreliability in US Waters  (23 Jan 2011)

Report Icon

Update Regarding the Issuing of US Recreational Vessel Documents  (19 Dec 2010)

Report Icon

Sailor drowned, two lost for 12 days, no EPIRB   (02 Dec 2010)

Report Icon

USA: North Carolina Coast - Update to No Discharge Regulation  (08 May 2010)

Report Icon

New Anchoring Restrictions for Florida  (08 Mar 2010)

Report Icon

New Florida Boating Education Law Started January 1st  (07 Jan 2010)

Report Icon

Yacht dismasted by one ship, saved by another  (29 Oct 2009)

Report Icon

Anchoring in Florida, USA  (07 Oct 2009)

Report Icon

American Visa Application  (15 Jan 2009)

Report Icon

FBI Maritime Liaison Agents assisting US Sailors Internationally  (18 Dec 2008)

Report Icon

New Weather Website Launched by NOAA  (06 Nov 2008)

Report Icon

USA Customs & Border Control – Issue of Cruising Permit Decals  (30 Oct 2008)

Report Icon

FLORIDA – Skipper arrested for Anchoring for more than 10 days  (26 Jun 2008)

Report Icon

US Coast Guard Announces Decision to Continue HF Weather Broadcasts  (29 Feb 2008)

Report Icon

DYT Announces New Routes and Voyages  (12 Dec 2007)

Report Icon

French Yacht Completes First Polar Circumnavigation  (01 Oct 2003)