Pacific Crossing in 2010 and El Nino

Published 14 years ago, updated 4 years ago

I am planning a Pacific Crossing from Panama to New Zealand in 2010. I just heard that El Nino is back and next year its effect will be quite severe. In view of this, I would like to find out if it would be wiser to postpone my crossing till 2011 or I can still go ahead with my 2010 schedule.

Any information would be welcome.


S/Y Amandla


This is a very difficult decision. You are right: next year El Nino could be quite bad… but it may last more than just one year. My advice is that if you can postpone the voyage by one year (and then possibly by another year), you should wait, but if not, just go and cope with the conditions as they arise.

Best regards,

Jimmy Cornell

Related to following destinations: ,

Related to the following Cruising Resources: ,

You must Login or Register to submit comments.