Aqua Map is an Android/IOS app that you can use on a phone or, preferably, a tablet such as an iPad. The app itself is free but you have to buy the charts for the area(s) you’re cruising. Chart prices are in the very reasonable range. Aqua Map has charts for much of the world, including the US, Canada, Bahamas, Caribbean, and Mexico. Much of Cuba is included as are most areas of Europe, Australia and New Zealand.
Aqua Map basic features:
- Active Captain and Waterway Guide overlays showing marinas, anchorages and local knowledge – all for free
- Unlimited chart updates
- Activate only chart areas currently needed, reducing storage space required on device
- Simultaneously share charts across 5 devices (iOS and Android may be mixed)
- Anchor alarm included
- Easy-to-understand tide and currents while planning and navigating
- Easily create routes and tracks
- Routes and tracks can be shared with other devices (such as a chartplotter) and even other people
- Satellite image overlay possible when internet is available
- Extremely clear charts and symbols
- When navigating a route, easily jump to the next waypoint and see time to various waypoints further down the route, such as bridges and locks
It is the only app that is also compatible with Garmin’s ActiveCaptain app.
Find out more at Boat Galley’s review of Aqua Map: https://theboatgalley.com/aqua-map/