Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
The global site for cruising sailors
You are here: Home / Users / val / Some Good News Regarding the International Certificate of Competence

Some Good News Regarding the International Certificate of Competence

By Val Ellis last modified Dec 16, 2014 03:44 PM

Published: 2012-03-07 10:50:00
Topics: European Union , Documents required & other considerations when cruising abroad
Countries: Albania , Australia , Belgium , Bosnia , Bulgaria , Canada , Croatia , Cyprus , Denmark , Estonia , Finland , France , Germany , Gibraltar , Greece , Iceland , Ireland , Italy , Latvia , Lithuania , Malta , Monaco , Netherlands , New Zealand , Norway , Poland , Portugal , Romania , Spain , Sweden , USA , United Kingdom

The Royal Yachting Association in the U.K. (the RYA) can now also issue an ICC to non U.K. citizens/residents. This covers nationals of non-UNECE countries, including nationals of the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

The RYA cannot issue ICCs to the nationals of other UNECE countries unless they are British residents. This means nationals of: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan. These citizen must apply to their national authority.

The restriction still remains that applicants must have a RYA practical course completion certificate of the appropriate level (i.e. Day Skipper or Power boat level 2) or take an ICC competency test at an RYA recognised training centre. There are such training centres in 41 countries around the world. See RYA website or telephone +44 (0)23 8060 4100 for specific country information.
Certificates of proficiency issued by other organisations cannot be accepted.

The CEVNI test can be taken online and then the ICC will be appropriately endorsed.

The ICC has to be renewed every 5 years, but this does not require a re-test, just more money!

Share |
John Parsons
John Parsons says:
Nov 26, 2014 09:10 AM

IYT sailing schools can offer an ICC to any nationals delivered through the Irish Department of transport. see for a European based IYT sailing school