Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools

The Ultimate Cruisers' Planning Tool


You are here: Home / Countries / Cape Verdes / Cape Verdes, Ihla de Santiago, Porto da Praia Bay: Night Boarding, Attack & Robbery - November 2017

Cape Verdes, Ihla de Santiago, Porto da Praia Bay: Night Boarding, Attack & Robbery - November 2017

By First hand report (in French)from SY Aquarius — last modified Jan 09, 2018 05:31 PM
This is the 4th armed boarding/attack and robbery reported to noonsite from this port in November 2017.

Published: 2017-11-25 00:00:00
Topics: Piracy & Security Incident Reports 2017
Countries: Cape Verdes

This first-hand report was sent in French. Below is an approximate English translation followed by the original French report.

Story of an act of piracy.
Port of Praia - Capital of the Cape Verde Islands

Thursday November 23, 2017

We arrive from the island of Boavista the morning of Thursday, November 23 after a night at sea. We anchor around 8 am and are surprised to be the only sailboat in this large bay. Praia has a bad reputation, but still!

Very quickly the "Policia Maritima" accosts us with their big semi-rigid and an agent comes on board for the formalities of entry. He seems quite nice despite his big shoes in the boat.

Quickly, we settle in the cockpit to collect copies of passports and boat papers. In addition, he gives us a flight warning form and asks us to be vigilant and to keep the boat under surveillance at night.

In the afternoon we put the dinghy in the water and my wife drives me down to see the possibilities offered by the city. I jump on the beach in front of the offices of the "Policia Maritima" and head for the plateau, shopping and lively part of the city of Praia. Young people play ball on the beach, swimmers are busy, 2 young people even swim to the boat ...

Back with some supplies, I call my wife on the handheld VHF (to come and pick me up).

It is not too late, but we are tired after our night sail and after an aperitif around 18 or 19 hours, we hoist the dinghy on to deck and attach it with a lock for prudence. It is not twenty o'clock when we go to bed with a very calm sea, little wind and a silence conducive to sleep. Zzzzz ....

Around 22 clock, something wakes me up, I can not say what ...

I get up and notice the door to the cockpit is open - while we closed it (but didn’t lock it from the inside) when we went to bed.

I move two steps and there, emerging from the starboard aft cabin, is a tall, black, young man, just wearing swimming trunks. He is holding something like a machine gun in his hands, pointing at me and making  “chacha chacha chacha" sounds - imitating the sound of a weapon!

At the same time, another man (whom I had not seen) grabbed me with a vigorous arm in the throat while pulling me back violently while the other aggressor in front, throws himself on me and brutally hits me with his weapon, which happened to be a big crank of a black winch, held in two hands like a handgun.

The cranks hit me in the face and I start bleeding profusely.

I collapse near the chart table; I hear my wife screaming, standing up and activating a boat alarm that activates the fog horn and the spreader lights.

The consequence is not long in coming, instead of fleeing as expected, my attackers hit me again in the face, the upper lip explodes, my nose is fractured. I'm really afraid of getting killed and scream "do you want money? Take money and go away …”

They spotted the lever setting the alarm on and off.

They are two: a very violent guy that I call A1and a younger man A2, probably twenty years old, who tries to calm his friend and is ready to go with "money".

A1 and A2 are both muscular with an athletic stature, any idea of ​​struggle is futile.

A2 lets me take the money stuck between the pages of a book (not original, but good) and takes the five fifty euro bills. A1 does not seem satisfied with the loot.

A2 asks my wife for waterproof bags to put stolen objects in so they can swim ashore. We are in a state of shock, and uncooperative.

A1 and A2 do not speak a word of English, it is difficult for them to ask anything, I feel that they are beginners. They find in the galley a roll of freezer bags and pack our 2 phones. A2 spotted my "spear fishing gun" in its pouch in the lazarette. He takes it and makes it his weapon.

A2 asks us to sit in the front cabin while A1 opens drawers, bags, cupboards ... At the same time, I repeat a litany of "please go away, you have the money, please go away ... " A2 seems ready to leave but A1 is obstinate. A1 asks A2 to tie us up in the cabin. They restrain us with the 6mm ropes used to maneuver the runners without leaving the cockpit. They bind our hands and feet and make us understand not to move from the cabin. They go out and close the door of the cabin. A1 opens the door not even 10 seconds later to check that we stay quietly in place. We do not leave and we are unlikely to get up. A1 repeats this move several times, he seems panicked at the idea that we can raise the alarm before or during their escape. Finally, they cut another rope to tie our door in the closed position, from the handle to a handrail.

The search continues, the waiting too. It's been an hour since the attack started. It's very long. And then, deliverance, I hear the liberating splash. It only takes a few minutes to undo our restraints and exit through the porthole.

We look at each other, we have to treat ourselves, evaluate the damage ... etc.

My wife puts ice on my face, especially the eyes, the nose and the upper lip. She herself has bruises, especially on her foot. I discovered that A2 "stabbed" me in the top of the buttock probably with the "demanilleur" (shackle key). I think he was afraid of planting too hard and just brought the tip of two or three cm to the top of the buttock ... ouff. They left behind a piece of "concrete iron", as if they were ready to use force to open a securely closed door.

I decide to call the "Policia Maritima" on VHF Channel 16 Our innumerable calls remain unanswered, as do calls on Channel 09, 10 and 12 which are channels reserved for the port authorities. Alas, at one o'clock in the morning we give up, but we also keep the fear of a second attack. Indeed, both guys came and went, swimming without bags or anything. They could make a second assault to take the computers, tablets ... because they saw the camera, the tablet and the computer! But without a bag, they did not want or rather could not take them.

We turn on the whole boat and stand guard, hoping they will not come back. At the same time we make an inventory of what was taken. Fortunately, the computers with nautical charts and Iridium are there. We should be able to navigate without a problem. Around three in the morning, exhausted, we go to bed and sleep.

Friday November 24, 2017

My wife bandages up my face, we put the dinghy in the water and at 9 o'clock we are in the premises of the "Policia Maritima". We file a complaint and the administration eats up all the day. First, they argue with each other when we tell them that no one answered our distress calls on Channel 16. Then we are made to wait for the arrival of a PJ inspector and forensic police who will visit the boat.

At the same time I want to escape from the offices to go and testify with the Embassy of France. It was impossible to get out, but we passed the line of the Embassy and I testify to the attack the night before. My interlocutor listens, is annoyed for us, but as we still have our passports cannot do anything more. We exchange e-mails to share the police report when we get it. Waiting again, the forensic police arrive but refuse to board the dinghy, their feet in the mud, and demand that Aquarius (our boat) be moved to the dock.

The French Ambassador, Mr Olivier Da Silva and his collaborator arrive. I must say that their presence and their care comforted us quickly. Mr Da Silva deploys with all his strength and finesse all his energy so that our requests are taken into account, so that, yes, Aquarius will be able to dock for the visit of the forensic police and the PJ, but afterwards the boat may remain all night at the dock with a police patrol for security. Thank you Mr Da Silva.

In addition, we learn that two weeks ago, a Danish sailboat with a single man on board, was attacked by three attackers who forced the unfortunate sailor knife on the throat, to go back and forth in his dinghy with absolutely everything that these pirates could loot! (see noonsite report about this incident).

13:00 Quay E30.

We're in full NCIS! Masks, latex gloves, black powder everywhere for fingerprints, records for DNA samples, photos ... in short, the forensic police and the PJ in all their splendor do the job. After, we spend the afternoon at the PJ (under contract with the Amsterdam police who provides training) for our own tactile samples and DNA and still a report, another office ...

Finally, after 10 hours of cooperation with all the Cap-Verdean police, we take a taxi that drops us off at Quay E30 in front of Aquarius. Zito, the driver, will return at 1 am to take my wife and recover the long-awaited crew complement.

Saturday November 25, 2017

The "Policia Maritima" goes by car all night long.

A Bavaria ‘56 docks in front of Aquarius for a few hours, the police explaining our agreement, they leave before dawn. Among the 9 German crew, 6  are cops. They listen to our unfortunate story and tell us to go to bed, they stand guard in front of Aquarius all night long: thanks guys.

After a quick refueling and the formalities of exit, our "Aquarius" leaves Praia around 5pm for Ile de Brava. Night navigation and scheduled landing the next day.

Sunday November 26, 2017
Brava Island

We arrive in the morning in the bay of "Faja d'Agua" with another Van de Stadt called "Amanta”, flag NL. Mooring here is uncomfortable with a strong swell re-entering. We will not drag on.

I swim over to greet the crew of Amanta and the 4 fellows laugh at my swollen mouth. I tell them of our misadventures. They were in Praia the night of the Danish aggression and explain that "One" the pirates choose their prey according to the number of people on board, and "Two" they have made an article on the English site "Noonsite" to warn sailboats about Praia.

A few hours later we leave Brava for a westbound passage of some 2,200 miles to Pointe à Pitre, leaving Cape Verde and our last nightmare behind. We arrived at the Island of Marie Galante on December 11 after fifteen days of navigation in the trade winds - still a little weak.

The boat and the crew are doing well.

JC Aubin
SY Aquarius


Original French report submitted.

Récit d'un acte de piraterie.
Jeudi 23 novembre
Port de Praia – Capitale des Îles du Cap Vert

Nous arrivons de l’île de Boavista le matin du jeudi 23 novembre après une nuit de mer dont une partie au moteur faute de vent.

Nous mouillons vers 8 heure et sommes étonnés d’être le seul voilier dans cette grande baie. Praia a mauvaise réputation, mais quand même !

Très vite la « Policia Maritima » nous accoste avec leur gros semi-rigide et un agent monte à bord pour les formalités d'entrée. Il semble assez sympathique malgré ses gros godillots dans le bateau.

Rapidement, nous nous installons dans le carré pour rassembler les copies des passeports et l'acte de francisation que gardera les autorités jusqu'à notre départ (en fait nous remettons a chaque fois une belle copie plastifiée) . En plus, il nous remet un formulaire de mise en garde des vols et nous demande d’être vigilants et de garder le voilier sous surveillance la nuit.

Dans l’après-midi on met l'annexe a l'eau et ma femme me conduit a terre pour voir les possibilités qu'offre la ville. Je saute sur la plage devant les bureaux de la « Policia Maritima » et me dirige vers le plateau, partie commerçante et animée de la ville de Praia.

Des jeunes jouent au ballon sur la plage, des pécheurs s'affairent, 2 jeunes nagent même jusqu'au bateau...

De retour avec quelques provisions, j'appelle ma femme sur la VHF grâce au combiné portable que j'avais pris soin d'amener afin de rester en contact avec le bateau.

Il n'est pas bien tard, mais nous sommes fatigués de cette nuit de navigation et après un apéro aux alentours les 18 ou 19 heures, nous hissons l'annexe sur le portique et l'attachons avec un cadenas par prudence. Il n'est pas 20 heure lorsque nous nous couchons avec une mer très calme, peu de vent et un silence propice au sommeil. Zzzzz.....

Vers 22 heure, quelque chose me réveille, je ne saurai dire quoi...

Je me lève et remarque la porte donnant du cockpit au carré en position ouverte alors que nous l'avions fermé. Porte fermée mais pas verrouillée de l’intérieur.

J'avance de deux pas et là, surgissant de la cabine arrière tribord, un homme grand, noir, jeune, juste vêtu d'un slip de bain me menace!

Il tient dans ses mains quelque chose comme une mitraillette, la pointe vers moi et fait «  chac tchac tchac tchac tchac» imitant le bruit d'une arme!

Au même moment, un autre homme (que je n'avais pas vu) me saisi d'un bras vigoureux à la gorge en me tirant violemment en arrière tandis que l'autre agresseur en face, se jette sur moi et me frappe brutalement avec son arme qui se trouvait être en fait une grosse manivelle de winch noire, tenue à deux main comme une arme de poing.

Les coups de manivelle m'atteignent en plein visage et je me met à saigner abondamment,

je m'écroule près de la table à carte; J'entends mon épouse qui crie, je me relève et actionne une alarme bateau mettant en action la corne de brume et les éclairages de barre de flèche.

La conséquence ne se fait pas attendre, au lieu de fuir comme escompté, mes agresseurs me frappent à nouveau au visage, la lèvre supérieure explose, mon nez est fracturé, j'ai vraiment peur de me faire tuer et abdique en demandant s'ils veulent le l'argent : je hurle «do you want money ? Take money and go away »

Ils ont repéré le levier mettant l'alarme en action et le stoppe.

Ils sont deux : un type très violent que je nomme A1et un plus jeune, sans doute mois de vingt ans, qui tente de calmer son copain et qui est prêt a partir avec « money » qui sera A2.

A1 et A2 sont tous deux de stature musclée et sportive, toute idée de lutte est futile.

A2 me laisse prendre le fric planqué entre les pages d'un livre ( pas original, mais bon) et prends les cinq billets de cinquante euro. A1 ne semble pas satisfait du butin.

A2 demande à mon épouse des sacs étanches pour entasser les objets afin de pouvoir les emporter à la nage sans les mouiller.

Nous sommes en état de choc, et peu coopératifs.

A1 et A2 n'ont pas inventé la poudre et ne parlent pas un mot d'anglais. Difficile pour eux de demander quoi que se soit, j'ai l'impression que ce sont des débutants monte-en-l'air ; Ils trouvent dans la cambuse un rouleau de sac congélation et emballent nos 2 Iphones.

A2 a repéré mon « sabre-à-canne » dans sa housse attachée dans la cambuse. Il le prends et en fait son arme

A2 nous demande de nous asseoir dans la cabine avant tandis que A1 ouvre les tiroirs, les sacs, les équipés... En même temps, je répète une litanie de « please go away, you have the money, please go away... »

A2 semble prêt a partir mais A1 s'obstine.

A1 demande à A2 de nous ligoter dans la cabine. Ils s'y mettent à deux pour faire des liens minables. Ils utilisent des cordages de retenue de bastaque. Ce sont des cordages de dia 6mm servant à manœuvrer les bastaques sans quitter le cockpit. Les liens étant prêts, je pense qu'ils les avaient préparés à l'avance, avant même de pénétrer dans le carré, au cas ou...

Donc, on nous lie les mains et les pieds et on nous fait comprendre de ne pas bouger de la cabine.

Ils sortent et referment la porte de la cabine. A1 ouvre la porte même pas 10 secondes après pour vérifier qu'on reste sagement en place. On n'en mène pas large et on ne risque de se lever. A1 répète son cinéma plusieurs fois, il semble paniqué à l'idée qu'on puisse donner l'alarme avant ou durant leurs fuites.

Finalement, ils coupent un autre cordage pour attacher notre porte en position fermée, de la poignée à une main courante.

La fouille continue, l'attente aussi.

Cela fait prêt d'une heure que l'attaque a débutée. C'est très long.

Et puis, délivrance, j'entends le « plouf » libérateur. Il ne faudra que quelques minutes pour défaire nos liens et sortir par le hublot pour ouvrir la porte en repassant par le carré.

On se regarde, il faut me soigner, évaluer les dégâts..etc.

Ma femme me met des poches de glace sur le visage, en particulier les yeux, le nez et la lèvre supérieure. Elle même, à des bleus, notamment sur le pied. Je découvre que A2 m'a « poignardé » dans le haut de la fesse sans doute avec le « démanilleur » qui a un pic dénoueur de nœuds quand il m'a chopé à la gorge. Je pense qu'il a eu peur de planter trop fort et a juste rentré la pointe de deux ou trois cm dans le haut de la fesse...ouff.

Ils ont abandonné sur place un morceau de « fer à béton », comme quoi ils étaient prêts a forcer une porte solidement fermée me dis-je.

Je décide d'appeler par VHF sur le canal 16 la « Policia Maritima » .

Nos innombrables appels restent sans réponse jusqu'à une heure du matin, aussi bien sur le 16 que le 09, le 10 et le 12 canaux réservés aux autorités portuaires.

Las, on abandonnent mais on garde aussi la crainte d'une deuxième attaque. En effet, les deux gars sont venus et repartis à la nage sans sacs ni rien. Ils pourraient faire un deuxième assaut pour prendre les ordis, ils ont vu l'appareil photo, la tablette et l'ordinateur ! Mais sans sac, ils n'ont pas voulu ou plutôt pas pu les prendre.

On allume tout le bateau, barre de flèche incluses et on monte la garde, espérant qu'ils ne reviennent pas. En même temps nous faisons l'inventaire des vols. Heureusement, les ordis avec les cartes marines et l'Iridium sont là. On devrait pouvoir naviguer sans problème.

Vers trois du matin, épuisés, on se couche et arrivons à trouver le sommeil.

Vendredi 24 novembre
Port de Praia – Capitale des Îles du Cap Vert

Ma femme m'a fait des pansements sur le visage, on met l'annexe à l'eau et vers 9 heure nous sommes dans les locaux de la « Policia Maritima ».

Nous déposons plainte et l'administration va nous bouffer toute notre journée.

D'abord, ils s'engueulent entre eux quand on dit que personne n'a répondu à nos appels de détresse sur le 16. Ensuite on nous fait attendre le venue d'un inspecteur de la PJ et de la police scientifique pour une visite sur le bateau.

En même temps on souhaite s'échapper des bureaux pour aller témoigner auprès de l'ambassade de France.

Impossible de sortir mais on nous passe la ligne de l'ambassade et je témoigne de l'agression de cette nuit. Mon interlocutrice écoute, se trouve embêtée pour nous, mais dans la mesure ou nous avons nos passeports, ne peut rien faire de plus. On échange des e.mails pour faire passer le rapport de police quand nous l'aurons.

L'attente reprends, la police vient mais refuse de monter à bord de l'annexe, les pieds dans la vase, et demande qu'on déplace Aquarius à quai.

Arrivent Mr L'Ambassadeur, Mr Olivier Da Silva et sa collaboratrice. Je doit dire que leurs présences et leurs chaleurs nous réconforte rapidement.

Mr Da Silva déploie avec force et finesse toute son énergie pour que nos demandes soient prises en compte, pour que, oui, Aquarius pourra se mettre à quai pour la visite de la police scientifique et la PJ, mais après il obtient que le bateau reste toute la nuit à quai avec une patrouille de police qui fera des rondes.

Merci Mr Da Silva.

En outre, on appends que deux semaines auparavant, un voilier Danois avec un seul homme à bord, a été attaqué par 3 agresseurs qui ont obligé le malheureux marin couteau sur la gorge, à faire des aller-retours en annexe avec absolument tout ce que ces pirates pouvaient piller a bord !

13H00 Quai E30. On est en plein NCIS. !

Masques, gants de latex, poudre noire partout pour les empreintes, les relevés pour les échantillons ADN, les photos... bref, la police scientifique et la PJ dans toute leur splendeur font le boulot. Après, on passera l’après-midi à la PJ (sous contrat avec la police d'Amsterdam qui assure une formation) pour nos propres échantillons tactiles et ADN et encore un rapport, encore un bureau...

Enfin, après 10 heures de coopération avec toutes les polices Cap-verdiennes, nous prenons un taxi qui nous dépose Quai E30 devant Aquarius.

Zito, son chauffeur repassera à 1 heure du matin pour prendre ma femme et récupérer le complément d'équipage tant attendu.

Samedi 25 novembre
Port de Praia Quai E30 – Capitale des Îles du Cap Vert

la « Policia Maritima » passe en voiture toute la nuit

Un Bavaria 56 accoste devant Aquarius quelques heures, la police expliquant notre accord, ils partirons avant l'aube. Parmi les 9 de l'équipage allemand, 6 flics. Ils écoutent notre malheureuse histoire et nous disent de nous coucher, ils vont monter une ronde 2 par 2 devant Aquarius toute la nuit : merci les gars.

Après un avitaillement rapide et les formalités de sortie, notre voiier « Aquarius » quitte Praia vers 17H pour Ile de Brava. Navigation de nuit et atterrissage prévu le lendemain

Dimanche 26 novembre
Ile de Brava

« Aquarius » mouille au matin dans la baie de « Faja d'Agua » avec un autre voiler Van de Stadt baptisé « Amanta » et portant pavillon NL. Mouillage inconfortable, forte houle rentrante. On ne va pas s'éterniser.

Je vais saluer l'équipage d'Amanta à la nage et les 4 gaillards se moquent de ma gueule tuméfiée. Je leurs relate nos mésaventures, ce qui mes met dans une rage folle !:Ils étaient à Praia la nuit de l'agression du danois et expliquent que « Un » les pirates choisissent la proie en fonction du nombre de personnes et « Deux » ils ont fait un article sur le site anglophone « NoonSite » pour mettre en garde les voiliers de ne pas mouiller dans ce coupe gorge ! Oups, pas lu !

Quelques heures plus tard nous quittons Brava pour une route plein Ouest de quelques 2.200 miles pour Pointe à Pitre, laissant le Cap Vert et nos derniers souvenirs cauchemardesques

Arrivée sur l'Île de Marie Galante le 11 décembre après quinze jours de navigation dans des alizés encore un peu faibles.

Le bateau et l'équipage vont bien.

JC Aubin
Sailing yacht Aquarius


The opinions expressed in this report are the author's own and do not reflect the view of or the World Cruising Club.

Related content
Praia (Santiago)
American Samoa
Antigua & Barbuda
Ascension Island
BIOT (Chagos)
British Virgin Islands
Canary Islands
Cape Verdes
Cayman Islands
Channel Islands
Christmas Island
Cocos Keeling
Cook Islands
Costa Rica
Dominican Republic
East Timor (Timor Leste)
Easter Island
El Salvador
Falkland Islands
Faroe Islands
Federated States of Micronesia
French Guiana
French Polynesia
French Subantarctic Territory
Heard, McDonald & Macquarie Islands
Hong Kong
Ivory Coast
Juan Fernandez Islands
Marion & Prince Edward Island
Marshall Islands
Myanmar (Burma)
New Caledonia
New Zealand
New Zealand's Subantarctic Islands
Norfolk Island
Northern Marianas
Palau (Belau)
Papua New Guinea
Pitcairn Island
Puerto Rico
Reunion Island
Sao Tome and Principe
Saudi Arabia
Sierra Leone
Sint Maarten
Solomon Islands
South Africa
South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands
South Korea
Spanish Virgin Islands
Sri Lanka
St Barts
St Helena
St Kitts & Nevis
St Lucia
St Martin
St Pierre & Miquelon
St Vincent & the Grenadines
Subantarctic & Southern Ocean Islands
Trinidad & Tobago
Tristan da Cunha
Turks & Caicos
US Virgin Islands
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom
Wallis and Futuna
Add/Update Your Business
If you would like your business to be listed, or the details are wrong, please update your business
Platinum Sponsors

BoatCV- Mindelo - Sao Vicente
For all Yacht Repairs.
Comprehensive Chandlery and Rigging
Electronic Workshop. Raymarine Service Agent